Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lolwut?

Now, it's common knowledge among my friends that I have little performing talents, as most of my talents tend to be lodged in my mind or practical side of my body. Unless you consider rock climbing to be a performing talent, anyways...
So I'm in chorus and have to do this performance called Cabaret next Friday. My friend K.B. and I are doing this duet that no one knows about, and we were called on Thursday to work on our song during lunch. For some reason, my friends A.H. K.K. and I.G. decided to come along, which puts huge pressure on me because I'm not comfortable at all singing. I've never been good at singing and my elementary school music teacher has crushed any sense of me being any good at music, so I'm now terrified. I sing the first two lines of the song and my chorus teacher interrupts me. We try matching pitches with me and the piano for a few minutes, but it doesn't work out because he's playing notes that I have to go into falsetto to sing, something I've never truly done before. He eventually gives up and says that I'm doing terribly and if I keep at the rate I'm at I will bomb the performance in front of everyone. The thing is, I'm used to singing the part of a bass because it's such a strain to sing the part of a tenor, which is what my song is based for. He's now giving me until Monday to learn how to match pitches from a piano to my voice.
I'm absolutely freaking because I've never had a professional voice teacher in my life, which he doesn't seem to get. I've had A voice teacher, but that was my then-boyfriend who'd give lessons that would get quickly forgotten as we then begin to cuddle and/or make out. I don't consider them real lessons. K.B. was rooting me on this entire time saying that I'm singing well and I'll work it, so when we get out of the chorus room I lashed out at her for rooting me on because it lulls me into a false sense of security. I now feel terrible for it, because that wasn't fair of me to do that. I plan on apologizing with a bunch of pocky on Monday.
That aside, I've had a pretty decent week. Yesterday was course selection day so our normal day was sliced in half, the remaining half of the school day was us running through all of our classes from last semester. It was fairly interesting, actually. I skipped my yoga class to wander around the school and hang out with K.K. and the other classes were spent yabbering with half a million people. I got all of my course selections done in a remarkably short amount of time, I'm pretty proud of myself.
AND I'M SO EXCITED! I'm going to J.B., A.D., K.V.'s performance of Grease tonight and it's going to be incredible! I'm bringing D.J. along so we're bound to have fun times!

Because I'm in a omg-kinda mood right now, the song of the day is Aquarius by Within Temptation! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ46JJ0aLNo

1 comment:

  1. Don't sweat it, hun. -^^- I'm sure you guys aren't the worst. That sounds pessimistic, but it's true.

    Thanks for coming, by the way. I was really glad to see you two.

    ReplyDelete