Saturday, March 27, 2010

BMEzine

A few days ago I read Explosm's article where they pranked a kid who asked them to do a comic about Da Vinci's code. On one page of their prank they include a cartoon of Da Vinci cutting his dick in half and calling it BME. I'm disgusted by this because it just has to be an exaggeration (given that this is Explosm we're talking about), so I google up BME. Turns out, that's the short-hand name for bmezine.com, a site dedicated towards the body modification subculture! Curiosity gets the best of me so I go onto the site. I've never encountered the total body modification culture so I don't know what to expect, and even with my mind as open as it possibly can about this I get shocked by what I see. I'm not saying that in a disgusted way, just that I was surprised by what I saw. In this website there was suspensions, eye sewing, tattoos, and so much more. I can't help but be a little horrified from my lack of experience in this world, but I'm also a little fascinated how people can break past the limits of pain to do this kind of stuff.
Is it an underground culture? More underground than anything I've encountered, yet. Is it terrifying? To me, anyways. Is it a place to look at whether you ever will get into it? I would say so. I'm planning on getting a tattoo sometime later in life as a symbol of what I believe in, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a BMEzine-able thing. After looking at this site, I might do a suspension just to see what it's like.
So something I'm not planning to tell my family.


Because I've had this stuck in my head for the past two days, the song of the day is:
Nothing Suits Me Like A Suit from How I Met Your Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment